Your marketing should cause a reaction. You should cause a reaction.
If you want people to take action you need them to react (clue is in the word 'act').
Now this might mean you need to have a different point of view. It might mean you have to be the person that says out loud what everyone else is only thinking. Maybe you need to step away from the crowd and start a new movement; wear something different, do something different, be something different.
Now I don't mean be different for the sake of it—just be different by being you. We're all different, and I am certain that you really being you will cause a reaction.
Be honest about who you are and what you really do and what you stand for. Don't go out to market looking to appeal to everyone while being ignored by most as the same time! Look to cause a reaction that makes the clients you want to attract sit up and pay attention.
Here's a few ways you can cause a reaction...
- State clearly who you DON'T work with and why (which is very different to saying who you DO work with). For the record, I don't work with 'prove it' people who want me to do all the work, hand them their 'Thing' on a plate and prove to them they can stand out and be famous for it (because I can't 'give' anyone their Thing I can only help them find it and help them to use it—I don’t make them!).
- Have a Fame Name that makes people go "Wow! What's that all about? Tell me more now" AND "Wow! That's something I have absolutely no need for".
- Start a new group/movement/campaign/point of view—anything that's not being served right now
- Wear what you REALLY want to wear. And if that's not a suit and you're in a suit world, who cares? There's something so perfect about doing your Thing your way, wearing what you want to, so you show up how you REALLY are.
- Work when, where and how you want to. If you don't want to get up in the morning, don't offer any morning sessions! If you don't like boring meeting rooms, book posh hotels instead (that's me on that one!). If you want to work at home from the garden in your shorts, then do. Cause a reaction by being selfish!
- Charge more. Or charge less. Or do your Thing quicker or slower than everyone else. Cause a reaction by doing your Thing differently.
- Turn down clients. Say "No" if an opportunity is not a fit for you. Don't take every piece of work that comes your way. Be respectful of your own time and energy and cause a reaction with the words "No, thank you".
Stand still. Do your Thing. Get noticed. Stop chasing. Be reactionary.
That's the main mindset you need as a business celebrity—you need to be super-clear on what you do and don't do. If what you do isn't for everyone, then congratulations—you're about to cause a reaction.
And there is no such thing as a good or bad reaction— all reactions are just that: reactions. If you want to do your Thing only with the people you really want to—who totally get you for who you are and what you do—make sure you're causing enough of a reaction to split your audience into "Yes, please!" or "No, thank you". If you're not causing a reaction, you're not causing decisions to be made.
Want to talk more about this?