I am a huge fan of the Pareto Principle–and if you’ve worked with me for more than 5 minutes, you’ll know I’ll crowbar it into almost any situation!
So today, I’m going to apply it to your Thing and your business. Because you might think that having a brilliant business doing your Thing is 80% about doing your Thing. BUT I’d argue that your Thing is super-important and, of course, it’s the Thing that earns the money and what you sell... BUT that 80% of your business is actually just that–your business.
The 20% that makes all the difference is your Thing thing as that’s what you do brilliantly and differently to anyone else and is what you get paid for. BUT to have a brilliant business you need ‘the other 80%’ of things that make your business work. You need to have systems, process, admin, marketing, sales, operations, support and all the other ‘bits’ of business to make your business work.
So while your Thing is super-important (because it’s your thing you can sell), don’t ignore ‘the other 80%’ as a brilliant Thing on it’s own doesn’t make a brilliant business.
Want to talk more about this?
Leave a Reply