When it comes down to it, there is really only one person who stands between you and your Thing and that's you.
Of course, you can get help to find your Thing—help to shape it, help to package it, and brand it, and sell it. But only YOU can decide to do it—actually go out there are do the Thing.
It's about jumping in with both feet to do your Thing and knowing that that's what you're here to do. There is no "Ohh, I'll dip a toe in"—that's never going to convince anyone... if you're not 100% certain, then why would anyone buy from you?
You can be scared about it—that's fine—as long as you're 100% scared about it :) I'm sort of joking here, but not really. I'd rather work with someone who has 100% conviction about their Thing even if they are little nervous to deliver it. From experience, I know that nervousness is very short lived, as once you're doing your Thing that disappears as your focus and conviction is so clear.
You need to decide to:
- Do your Thing (your 1 Thing you're brilliant at, as opposed to lots of things you're good at)
- Be visible so you can be seen doing your Thing
- Own a market or result that you're known for (your Thing will give you a niche)
- Be clear on your message—what do you say and how do you say it
- Say "No" to people you're not here to help with your Thing (no bending it to fit where it doesn't!)
- Stick to your guns when it comes to getting paid what you're worth (no dropping your prices at the drop of a hat)
- Say "Yes" to the chances to do your Thing when they show up (harder than it sounds if they are bigger than you expected!)
You can decide not to do your Thing, or decide to only do it a 'little bit', but where's that going to get you? Not very far... and not very excited about it either.
When you decide to do your Thing you can decide where to take it. But you can't go anywhere unless you decide!
Want to talk more about this?